Saturday, January 15, 2011

What's With Today, Today?

This looks like another angry blog title. It's not, I assure you. I am merely quoting the one and only Empire Records. One of the greatest movies ever. Kind of like Dazed and Confused. They're the best. If you were in your early teens in the mid-90s.

I love nostalgia. My favorite movies are those which usually sucked but that now have the romance of being inextricably entwined with my youth. Said romance has been carefully created by my subconscious. My id thoughtfully edits out any untoward events, thoughts, and moments that my super-ego may not have been so kind about, leaving behind a glowing warmth that emanates from old-school entertainments. That is what makes my childhood favorites the BEST in the world. Yours, too, I'll bet.

Now, without further ado*, these are my top 10 favorite 90's songs (today):

1. Must Have Been Love-Roxette (90)
2. Ghetto Cowboy-Mo Thugs (98)
3. Look Into My Eyes-Firehouse (92)
4. Wind of Change-Scorpions (90)
5. Because of Love-Janet Jackson (93)
6. All I Wanna Do-Sheryl Crow (93)
7. Nobody-Keith Sweat (96)
8. Ready or Not-The Fugees (96)
9. To Be With You-Mr. Big (92)
10. Life is a Highway-Tom Cochrane (92)

Please share any life changing (or id-edited) favorites that you hold dear.



*I think this is the only appropriate use of this phrase in the history of time, since I believe it to mean: "enough of all this bullsh*t" or "blah, blah, blah." And I'm pretty sure I'm right. On both accounts.

3 comments:

  1. I'm digging the numerous blog posts. Keeps me distracted from the stack of papers I'm supposed to correct. Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The great thing about the universe is that it knew I'd need a break from it and it pre-emptively encouraged you to blog prior to my needing said break.

    2. Damn the Man, Save the Empire!

    3. Seeing your list of top 10 90's songs today, I am only now understanding how violent the Gavin Rossdale / Gwen Stefani union was for you. I promise you that your karma will improve if you just forgive Gwen and add Glycerine to the list.

    4. Don't kid yourself...it's your "ado" that keeps us readers checking back when we need a break from the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh..there are still people out there. I was pretty sure I had scared you all off with my crazy.

    I CANNOT BELIEVE that "glycerine"-bush (96) is not on this list. i have been remiss. i am now embarrassed that "life is a highway" is on this list and there is no 2 pac, biggie, smashing pumpkins, beck...

    list is now retitled. "nice songs--the 90s."

    ReplyDelete